Idle Hour Theatre
117 E. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
This early St. Charles movie house opened in 1914 as the New Theatre, located on East Main Street at the corner of Second Avenue. It was located in a building constructed in 1900. About a year after opening, a contest was held to rename the theater, and the name chosen was the Idle Hour. The auditorium seated 325, and in addition to silent films, there was live entertainment presented on stage as well.
In the early-1920’s, the Idle Hour was acquired by local businessman Lester Norris, who would open the nearby Arcada Theatre in 1926. After the Arcada Theatre was opened, Norris closed the Idle Hour Theatre. The last film shown there was Lon Chaney starring in "Road to Mandalay".
A sucession of businesses have been located in the former Idle Hour Theatre space since. Berry’s Barber Shop is currently located in what was once the main entrance of the Idle Hour Theatre.
Information obtained from the National Register of Historic Places (Aracada Theatre) and CATOE’s Arcada Theatre History.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater