669 Holderness Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Situated in the suburbs at the junction of Holderness Road and Lake Drive, the Astoria Cinema opened on July 30, 1934. It was designed by architect James E. Adamson of London and Hull and constructed by Messrs Markwell, Holmes and Hayter Ltd. A Compton 3 Manual, 8 Rank organ (with illuminated console) was installed (now in a York Museum) and it was opened by James Swift.
Seating was 1,000 in the stalls and 500 in the single balcony -above which was a large saucer dome with concealed lighting.
The proscenium was 50 feet wide and a small stage and dressing rooms were provided, but these seem to have been seldom used. The stage scene doors have been bricked up.
In 1935 it was taken over by the County Cinemas circuit, but returned to a independent operator a year later.
It closed after 29 years on 7th June, 1963 and immediately reopened as the Astoria Bingo Club – well over 45 years on this continues successfully.
The Astoria Cinema is largely unaltered inside, very attractive, and is extremely well maintained. It should be with us for many years yet!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater