3 people favorited this theater
The building started life as a riding stable in 1846, and was converted into the Armoury Theatre, which opened 3rd February 1902. It was converted into a music hall, known as the Hippodrome Theatre which opened on 21st July 1905 with Vesta Tilley topping the bill. Some films were being screened as part of the programme by 1911. In May 1926, it was closed for modernisation, and re-opened as a legitimate theatre named New Hippodrome Theatre. It closed in September 1930.
It was fully refurbished and re-opened 6th October 1930 as the Tudor Super Cinema. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system, and there was now a café for the convenience of its patrons. By 1957 the Essoldo Group had taken it over, but but was destroyed by fire in 1960.
It was rebuilt using the surviving exterior walls as the Tudor Cinema and at some point in the 1970’s a second screen was added on the former stage area with a separate entrance, and taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain it was re-named Classic. The cinema was then taken over by and renamed Cannon.
Both cinemas closed and after a short period of dereliction the Cannon was converted into a bar named ‘Livingstones’. The former flytower has been reduced in height, both entrances are in use, the frontage has been restored but inside nothing remains to suggest it was ever either a cinema or a theatre.
Livingstones bar closed in 2010 and building stood unused in August 2011. It has since reopened as a pub name Rat & Parrot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater