New Coronet Cinema
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Coronet Cinema was opened on 26th October 1926 with Doris Kenyon in "The Halfway Girl". It was independently operated by the Cullen family and had a seating capacity for 400.
It was so successful, that a new larger cinema was built adjacent to to older building. This was designed by Oxford based architect A. Buller-West in an Art Deco style and opened on 26th December 1933 with Slim Summerville in "Out All Night". There were 600 seats in the stalls and 112 seats in the circle. The old Coronet Cinema was converted into a shop.
The New Coronet Cinema was taken over by the Shipman & King chain in 1936.
From 1971, bingo was introduced on several days a week, and on 2nd March 1974, the New Coronet Cinema screened its final programme being Reg Varney in "Holiday on the Buses" and Barry Newman in "Fear is the Key". In October 1974, it was taken over by an independent operator and re-opened as a cinema with Helen Hayes in "Herbie Rides Again", and from November 1974 bingo was again re-introduced on several nights a week. The cinema/bingo operation continued into the 1980’s, when eventually films ceased, and since then it has operated as the independent New Coronet Bingo Club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater