25 Doncaster Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Ritz Cinema was opened by the Union Cinemas chain on 27th February 1937 with Anna Lee in "O.H.M.S.". All seating was on a single floor. The proscenium was 54 feet wide, and the stage 18 feet deep. There were three dressing rooms. The Compton 3Manual/6Ranks organ was opened by Alex Taylor. The instrument had previously been installed in the Super Cinema, Gravesend, Kent.
In October 1937, Union Cinemas were taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. In the early-1940’s, the resident organist was Noel Briggs.
In 1961, the Ritz Cinema was re-named ABC. The organ was removed in 1972 for preservation at another location. The ABC was closed on 12th January 1974. It was taken over by Mecca Dancing and converted into Tiffany’s Ballroom.
On 12th September 1985, the front stalls and stage area was converted into an ice rink name Scene Four Ice Scene, while the rear stalls area and foyer became a nightclub. It has had a series of owners and name changes over the years; Henry Afrikas, Time and Love2Love/Studio 25. The building was demolished in April 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater