5 Gilliatt Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Royal Cinema was opened as a silent cinema on 1st October 1929 and soon converted into ‘talkie-house’ by installation of a British Thomson Houston reproducing set in December 1930. The Royal Cinema Co. Ltd. were the owners of this 900 seat cinema. By 1936 Star Cinemas of Leeds made a take over bid and prices at this time were between 4d up to 1/–.This cinema ran continuous showings of film and by 1940’s had Sunday shows. The cinema was a strange hall long and low with a proscenium opening of 25 feet width.
By the 1950’s the Royal Cinema had CinemaScope installed and had altered shows to been continuous only on Mondays and Thursdays prices by now ranging from 1/– to 2/–. In 1959 the Royal Cinema closed its doors and reopened as the town’s Star Bingo Club in 1960. It ran as a bingo club until 1973, after this it was converted to a discotheque and nightclub. By the late-1980’s it was Pickwicks and by the 1990’s it was Blarney Stone Nightclub, which closed in 2013 and the building is currently (2013) up ‘For Sale’.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater