33 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, at the corner of Manley Street and High Street. It was was originally built in 1896 as the Public Hall but later became a film theatre in 1910 showing silent films. It is noted that this was not the most pleasant place to go to watch a movie as rats would run across people’s feet during the films!
From 1928 it was ran by G.H. Wilson, the films on view were noted to cost between 5d-1/– admission. The Empire Theatre finally closed as a cinema in 1930. In November 1931 it reverted to live shows under Scunthorpe players society with a play “Journeys End”. This however ended very soon after, and from then it was used as a forces canteen from 1939-1942. In May 1942 a fire broke out at the Empire Theatre rumour has it this was caused by a taxi parked outside the butchers next door setting alight, the shell of the building lingered on until 1953 where it was demolished and the site has since become the home to Scunthorpe Central Library.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater