2 Milner Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the inner-west Adelaide suburb of Hindmarsh at 210 Port Road, at the corner of Milner Street. The Town Hall was opened in 1860. In 1880, a new hall designed by architect Thomas Frost was built behind the original structure. On 5th July 1897 it recieved a new portico, and films were screened from 1917.
In June 1936, it was rebuilt in a splendid Art Deco style to the plans of architect Christopher Arthur Smith, who also designed many cinemas. There were two halls in the building, which both had cinema use over the years. The almost 2,000-seat downstairs hall was known as the Star Theatre, and was operated by the Clifford Theatres circuit. This had been taken over by Greater Union Cinemas by 1957, and re-named Odeon Theatre. The upstairs hall was known as the Windsor Theatre
Parts of the building were destroyed by a fire in the mid-1980’s.
Retaining its Art Deco style facade (and replicating where damaged), it has been re-built as offices used by the council Education Department. The building is listed on the State Heritage Register.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater