214 Fifth Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the Park Slope district of Brooklyn. Originally, the site held the Fifth Avenue Casino, which originally opened as a skating rink in 1885. The single story building was destroyed by fire on January 5, 1893.
The Alhambra Music Hall was built, opening on May 3, 1897. It was closed by December 1900. It later re-opened as the Alhambra Photoplay, and this still operated in 1908. From 1912 until 1914, it was operating as the Fifth Avenue Hippodrome, screening movies.
From 1914 it became a movie theatre known as the Alhambra Theatre. Some alterations were carried out in 1917 to the plans of architect Max Cohen, and the interior was altered in 1927 to the plans of Charles Infanger. The Alhambra Theatre was closed in 1934.
Today the building houses a supermarket.
The above information is taken from ‘The Brooklyn Theatre Index Volume 1’ by Cezar Del Valle, Published 2010
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater