Center Theatre 1 & 2
1229 Hargett Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Center Theatre located in the New River Shopping Center on Hargett Street became Jacksonville’s first ever suburban cinema. It opened to great fanfare on April 26, 1956, some three years after the opening of the Iwo Jima Theatre that opened in 1953. The theatre faces the intersection of Hargett Street and Robinson Drive, not far from LeJuene Boulevard (a T-intersection that does not enter the shopping center). It was Jacksonville’s largest indoor theatre and had a seating capacity for 750 with luxurious lounge areas, comfortable living room seating with as extra smoking section. It also had the area’s largest indoor widescreen that presented films in CinemaScope and VistaVision formats.
The Center Theater was owned and operated by Stewart & Everett, who in 1977 twinned the theatre by giving it a ‘split down the middle’ technique that was used, creating shoebox sized auditoriums each with 375 seats.
Carmike Cinemas acquired the Center Theatre 1 & 2 in 1986 and ran it as a second run discount house until its closing in 1990. An independent operator reopened the Center Theatre 1 & 2 in 1992, but low attendance and management problems closed its doors forever by 1996. In 2015 the building remains vacant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater