47 Market Place,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Palace Theatre was opened as a live theatre on 12th July 1912 with 687 seats in stalls and circle levels. It soon began screening silent films, and in May 1931, it was equipped with a Western Electric sound system for ‘talkie’ films.
It was renovated in June-October 1936, with the interior gutted of its original decoration, and was given a new plain facade. In March 1965, it was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain and was re-named Ritz Cinema. The Ritz Cinema was closed on 23rd February 1983 with a packed house viewing “E.T.”.
Plans were proposed to convert the stalls area into retail use, and convert the balcony into a 250 seat cinema. The new cinema was opened in August 1983, and was re-named Screen Cinema. A supermarket was located downstairs. The Screen Cinema was closed on 3rd October 1996 due to the death of its owner John Francis. The building stayed empty until 2003, when it was converted into a pub, known as The Litten Tree". The pub was closed on 8th March 2008 due to loss of business after the introduction of the Government no-smoking ban in public buildings. It has now re-opened as a bar & nightclub known as the Box Office.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater