525 George Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Colonial No. 2 Theatre was built by J.D.Williams in 1910 and renamed the Empress Theatre in 1913 when taken over by Union Theatres.
It was demolished in 1939, replaced by an Art Deco style design cinema by Crick and Furse, which was named Victory Theatre. The opening program was a double bill of “Pygmalion” and “Edge Of The World”. For most it its life the Victory Theatre showed action movies. Along with the Capitol Theatre it was Greater Union Theatre’s main outlet for Columbia and Paramount B’s. In 1956 “Rock Around The Clock” ran for a year, the only long run ever at the Victory Theatre.
As the Rapallo Theatre it showed classier films but was marked for demolition when Greater Union Theatres decided to built a multi-screen complex next to the huge Hoyts complex (today operating as the Greater Union Event Theatres). The National Trust objected, trying to save the last remaining Art Deco style theatre in the city centre, basically unchanged since 1938.
The Rapallo Theatre and adjacent Paramount Theatre were both demolished in 1984.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater