No one has favorited this theater yet
Built by Fareham & District Entertainments Ltd., who also operated the Alexandra Cinema just a few doors along West Street. The Savoy Cinema was opened on 21st December 1934, and the Alexandra Cinema was closed. The opening film was “Facing the Music” starring Stanley Lupino. The Savoy Cinema had 982 seats, with 670 in the stalls and 312 in the circle. It had a 40 feet wide proscenium, a stage and dressing rooms. It was equipped with Western Electric(WE) sound system. The Savoy Cinema also boasted a cafe for the convenience of its patrons and there was a free car park which could hold 400 cars. There were six shops built alongside in what was called Savoy Building.
It was taken over by the Shipman & King circuit in May 1936, who soon built the Embassy Cinema on the site of the former Alexandra Cinema in 1938.
Shipman & King closed the Savoy Cinema on 4th February 1961. It was demolished in January 1964 and Woolworth’s expanded their store onto the site.
Today the site has been swallowed up by the Fareham Precinct shopping centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater