Spa 1 & 2
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the spa town of Buxton, Derbyshire. The Picture House was opened in 1916 with a seating capacity of 750. It was modernised in an Art Deco style and re-opened as the Spa Cinema on 28th June 1937 with Jean Harlow in “Libeled Lady”. Seating was now provided for 950 in stalls and circle levels.
The Spa Cinema was closed around 1963, and was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain and converted into a bingo club.
Around 1974, the circle was converted into a twin screen cinema, with bingo continuing downstairs in the former stalls area. The Spa 1 & 2 opened on 11th April 1974, with seating provided for 130 and 120.
Later operated by the Hutchinson Leisure chain, and finally by Apollo Leisure, the Spa 1 & 2 and the bingo club were closed on 21st May 1986. By mid-1987, the building had been stripped out and was advertised ‘To Let’ for retail use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater