No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Lowestoft, Sussex at the north end of Royal Plain. The Palace Cinema was built on the site of disused Royal stables, and part of the original buildings were retained. The Palace Cinema was opened on July 14th 1913 with “Les Miserables”. In 1930, the building was refurbished and a BTH sound system installed, the first talkie screened here was Janet Gaynor in “Sunny Side Up”. The cinema now also boasted a cafe and dance hall.
In the mid-1950’s, the Palace Cinema was the first in Lowestoft to be equipped with CinemaScope, opening with Richard Burton in “The Robe”. In the early-1960’s bingo was tried out on certain evenings during the week, and in 1965, it had screened its final film and become a full time bingo club. This was not to last very long, as on the evening of 26th July 1966, the building was destroyed by a fire. The derelict remains stood for a further five years until they were demolished in 1971.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater