54 Dalgarno Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the small central N.S.W. town of Coonabarabran, to the north of Dubbo. The Savoy Theatre was built on the site of the Club Hall, which had opened in 1914 and was demolished in 1939. Construction on the Savoy Theatre was delayed due to the outbreak of World War II and it was designed by the noted cinema architectural firm Crick & Furse of Sydney. It opened on 28th May 1941 with Judy Garland in “The Wizard of Oz” and Tim Holt in “The Fargo Kid”. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels.
The Savoy Theatre operated as an independent cinema until it closed in the 1970’s. It was later used for dancing and roller skating. Now operating as a new and used clothing store, the building is little altered externally, but has been slightly modified internally.
The former Savoy Theatre has been placed on the N.S.W. State Heritage Inventory.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater