No one has favorited this theater yet
Located to the west of Leicester city centre at the corner of Woodgate & Bassett Street. The Sovereign Cinema was opened in October 1919. Designed by the Leicester based architectural firm of Seale & Riley, it had a wooden half timbered facade in a Tudor style. Seating was provided on a single sloping floor, and there was a small raised section at the rear of the auditorium. The proscenium was 24 feet wide.
By 1934 it had been taken over by the H.D. Moorhouse Circuit. It was equipped to present CinemaScope films in 1955 and a new 34 feet wide proscenium was installed.
The Sovereign Cinema was closed on 14th January 1961. By the 1980’s, the front of the building had been altered, and it became a bank and shops, which extended midway into the auditorium. The remainder of the auditorium was in use as a warehouse. Today the front of the building is in use by restaurants.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater