Grove Picture House
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Star Cinemas
Previous Names: Picture House
Located in Ilkley, West Yorkshire. This cinema was situated behind the retail premises on The Grove, in the space between buildings and the (now gone) railway embankment.
It opened as the Picture House on 21st February 1913, having been converted from a lecture hall built in 1881, and converted by the owners, the Croft family, who were local coal merchants and antique dealers. The original capacity was 728.
In 1929 it was renamed the Grove Picture House. Sound was installed in 1930. In 1946 the Star Cinema chain based in Leeds acquired it, and operated it until its closure in December 1967. The local authority acquired it for demolition in 1968. With the removal of the adjacent railway embankment (trains ceased to be able to pass through Ilkley) the whole area behind the retail premises on the Grove was radically changed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.