4 Hamilton Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built on the site of the Casino Picture House, which was a wooden building that was demolished in 1930. The Regal Cinema was built for George Henry Kemp and opened in 1931, directly across the street from his La Scala Cinema. The proscenium was 40 feet wide, the stage 20 feet deep and there were five dressing rooms. The stage was well used over the years, continuing into the late-1960’s.
The Regal Cinema was the first in Scotland (outside the big cities) to be equipped with CinemaScope. It was damaged in 1965, when a fire broke out in the balcony seating area, and it was closed for several weeks. The foyer was enlarged, and a refreshment bar was installed in the former rear stalls area under the balcony. It re-opened with a reduced seating capacity of 795. It was equipped with 70mm projection and the proscenium was now a curtained opening accommodating a wide screen.
The Regal Cinema was closed in 1985, and in 1988, it was converted into the Metropole Nightclub. Today operating as the Metro Nightclub.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater