No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Seaford, East Sussex, just over 8 miles west of Eastbourne. Originally on this site at the corner of Dane Road and Pelham Road was planned an Odeon Cinema for the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. The plan was dropped when the owner of the towns' Empire Cinema, which had been owned by Oscar Deutsch in around 1930, asked Oscar Deutsch to not build his Odeon.
The site was sold to another cinema operator, and the Ritz Cinema was built and opened in around 1932. Seating was located on a semi-stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear, instead of an overhanging balcony. The proscenium was 45 feet wide, the stage 20 feet deep, with two dressing rooms. There was also a cafe and dance hall attached to the building. It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system.
The Ritz Cinema presented films and occasional stage shows. CinemaScope was installed in 1955. The Ritz Cinema was closed in 1970.
It was taken over by a new owner Roy Markwick of Hallmark Cinemas Ltd. in June 1970. New RCA sound equipment was installed, and he operated the Ritz Cinema for four years. In 1974, it was taken over by the Miles Byrne chain. The Ritz Cinema presented an ice show for a season in 1977. In the summer of 1979 new owners took over, and the Ritz Cinema was finally closed in December 1979.
It was demolished and a Morrisons Supermarket was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater