Grand Lake Theatre
3200 Grand Avenue,
42 people favorited this theater
Built in 1926 by West Coast Theatres with 1,700 seats in its single auditorium, The Grand Lake Theatre was opened March 6, 1926.
Built as a vaudeville and silent movie house before switching to an all-movies format, the Grand Lake Theatre was bought and sold five times from 1926 to 1980. The most recent owner, Renaissance Rialto Inc., purchased the Grand Lake Theatre in 1980 and spent $3.5 million renovating the worn movie palace. Part of the renovation also added a second screen in the former balcony on June 19, 1981, and on July 12, 1985 storefronts were converted into two more screens, bringing the total seating capacity to 1,600. It suffered damage in the 1989 earthquake, and repairs were carried out.
Despite the changes, the Grand Lake Theatre has retained the charm of its original appearance and its original illuminated roof top sign. It still screens first run movies. In August 2018 it was sold to its leaseholder Allen Michaan.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater