Loew's Melba Theatre
300 Livingston Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: William E. Lehman
Previous Names: Keeney's Theatre, Loew's Livingston Theatre
The former Loew’s Melba Theatre stood at the intersection of Livingston Street and Hanover Place in downtown Brooklyn. The palatial theatre was part of the Loew’s chain and stood within walking distance of the Metropolitan Theatre, Tivoli Theatre and Duffield Theatre.
The Keeney’s Theatre was opened in 1915 and was taken over by Loew’s Inc. on June 9, 1926, and renamed Loew’s Livingston Theatre. On January 9, 1928, it was renamed Loew’s Melba Theatre.
A very early casualty of television, closing in 1954. It was razed for an outdoor parking lot, which also met its fate in the 1980’s when a high-rise office building rose on the site. It was built for the Metropolitan Transit Authority. This has since been replaced by a four level parking & commercial structure.
In the end glass and steel have replaced stone and neon.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.