448 Anzac Parade,
1 person favorited this theater
Kingsford is a small suburb about 5 miles south of Sydney’s cbd. It was originally called South Kensington but renamed in honor of aviator Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. According to state records films were shown here starting in 1914 and the first genuine picture palace was the Reno Theatre, built and operated by E. J. Coleman. It was a true family theatre which presented live “pantos” - musical comedy stage shows based on classic children’s stories, along with features and cartoons.
On May 21st 1947 the Reno Theatre screened its last program and on the following day became an Odeon, operated by the Acme Theatres circuit. The debut program was “The Desert Song” and “Black Angel”. Acme ran a circuit wide club for kids which was inaugurated at the Odeon along with the big Australian made hit “The Overlanders”.
The Odeon was destroyed by a fire in the early hours of 21st October 1965 and the remains were demolished, making way for the Castellorizian Club, an organisation serving the large Greek immigrant population.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater