Pavilion

The Esplanade,
Weymouth, DT4 8ED

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

The Pavilion

Located in the seaside town of Weymouth, Dorset. The Pavilion was opened in 1908, and was operating as a cinema by 1937. It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system. Still open in 1944, it had closed as a cinema by 1947, and was in use as a live theatre. It was destroyed by fire in 1954.

A new Pavilion Complex was built in 1960, presenting summer season shows, pantomime, concerts etc. Operated by Weymouth Council, it was closed at the end of May 2013, and was taken over by a new operator, reopening in September 2013.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

blakey692002
blakey692002 on September 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm

This venue has now re-opened under Trust ownership and it’s status should be returned to “Open”. Weymouth Pavilion is run by a community interest company.

Weymouth & Portland Borough Council has awarded the lease for Weymouth Pavilion (opens in a new window) to a not-for-profit-organisation.

Councillors meeting at the Management Committee on 19 June 2013 agreed to award the lease to Mr Phil Say, who has set up a Community Interest Company.

The council agreed to enter into a 10 year lease with the Community Interest Company based on terms agreed at its April Management Committee, and also subject to: •A £150,000 loan by the council, repayable on terms included in the 19 June Management Committee report •A fixed annual contribution from the council of £30,000 •The council awards 80 per cent discretionary rate relief •The Community Interest Company meets the costs of car parking permits for staff and volunteers •The Council meets liabilities that may arise from any staff issues (TUPE) related to the previous council-operated facility http://www.weymouthpavilion.com/

AndreasP
AndreasP on November 13, 2018 at 11:37 am

At http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/WeymouthTheatres.htm#pav the history is more detailed. The 1908 theatre depicted was destroyed by a fire in 1954. Another theatre was built on the site (1958-1960) and opened in 1960.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater