Belle Vue Cinema
7 Belle Vue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In Weymouth, Dorset, Albany Ward opened the Belle Vue Picture Palace, at the junction of Belle Vue and East Street, on 5th December 1910. It was a conversion of lodging houses. According to press reports, it was “splendidly furnished and appointed throughout” and, during the opening performance, which included “Fontolini Steals a Bicycle”, “Sleepy Sam” and a coloured film “The Shepherd’s Kiss”, there were frequent outbursts of applause.
By the time ‘talkies’ arrived the Belle Vue, along with the Regent Cinema and the Palladium Cinema, were managed by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres. Gaumont British took over in the 1930’s and the Belle Vue continued as the town’s second run cinema with the Rank Organisation until closure on Saturday 29th September 1956 with “The Lyons in Paris”, starring Ben Lyon and Bebe Daniels, and George Montgomery in “Indian Scout”.
The council considered purchasing the building for use as a leisure centre, which would have included film shows, but this did not go ahead. The building eventually became the Elim Oasis Christian Centre. It is currently (2015) the Elim New Life Centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater