Sherman Theatre

Paint Street,
Chillicothe, OH 45601

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Sherman Theatre Interior

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Sherman Theatre was opened in early-1918. By 1941 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. It was closed and demolished in 1954.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

atmos
atmos on January 21, 2016 at 11:25 am

Architect of pictured theatre was Peter Hulsken.

Jack Theakston
Jack Theakston on January 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Opened in September 1918 on the site of what was previously “The Duck,” a famous docked boat, destroyed by fire. Opening attraction was Theda Bara in “Salome.” Seated 1,000, and had a stage for live performances, too. Originally managed by J. Elmer Redelle, a former Shubert manager who left about a year later to manage the Victory in Dayton. Victor Cohn took over for him, but when Camp Sherman closed after the War, business went downhill. C. A. Smith, who owned the Star and the Queen eventually took it over. William J. Cowdrey was the organist there in the 1920s. The Paramount film “Huckleberry Finn” had its world premiere there in 1920.

Warner Theaters took the Sherman over in 1931. Managerial turnover was fast there, as L. R. Barhydt, Floyd D. Morrow, Robert A. Momm, Harland Fend, Paul J. Montavon, and Don H. Jacobs were later managers.

On the cusp of new improvements, the future of the theater was doomed starting in 1947 when the town started plans to practice eminent domain to take over what were called “old canal” land upon which the theater and other buildings were built. The theater closed in December 1954, at which time it was raised and Water St., on which the side of the theater sat, was expanded to four lanes.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater