Adena Theatre

4th Street & Paint Street,
Chillicothe, OH 45601

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Adena Theatre

Opened in 1900 as the Orpheum Theatre, showing vaudeville. On November 25, 1912 it was screening movies (address given as Paint Street & 4th Street) and was renamed Royal Theatre. It was still open in 1957. Following a refurbishment in 1964 it was renamed Adena Theatre. It was closed on November 8, 1986 with Terence Stamp in “Link”. It was converted into a restaurant which had a short lifespan.

Contributed by elmorovivo

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 27, 2016 at 4:31 pm

RE address: there is no 3rd Street in Chillicothe (it was displaced by Main Street.) The Orpheum was at the NE corner of Paint and 4th Street.

rivest266
rivest266 on May 29, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Opened as Royal on November 25th, 1912. First ad in the photo section.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on September 27, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Circa 1920 photo and description added courtesy of Mark Howell.

A photo from around 1920 of the Schilder Building at Chillicothe, Ohio in Ross Co. Sitting on the NE corner of Paint and 4th Street, it housed the Orpheum Theatre, then the Royal Theater, and then the Adena Theater. A confectionery store can be seen at the middle on the first floor where the Ice Cream, Candy sign is. The theater portion of this building is currently undergoing construction.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 14, 2018 at 6:39 am

In 1964, the Royal was refurbished becoming the Adena Theatre. It closed November 8, 1986 with the movie “Link.” In 1991, much of its ephemeral material and contents were auctioned off as Renick’s Restaurant moved into a portion of the facility with the marquee removed. In 1998, the theatre had a short-lived run as Renick’s Backstage with the restaurant featuring a movie and dinner concept.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 14, 2018 at 6:53 am

In 1964, the Royal was refurbished becoming the Adena Theatre. It closed November 8, 1986 with the movie “Link.” In 1991, much of its ephemeral material and contents were auctioned off as Renick’s Restaurant moved into a portion of the facility with the marquee removed. In 1998, the theatre had a short-lived run as Renick’s Backstage with the restaurant featuring a movie and dinner concept.

BTW: suggest the opening date as the Orpheum Theatre was March 16, 1906.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater