336 S. State Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Opened in 1917 as a venue for vaudeville and motion pictures, near the corner of State Street and Van Buren Street, the Rialto Theatre could seat over 1,500.
The theater was designed by the architectural duo of Marshall & Fox, who also designed the earlier legitimate Blackstone Theatre (now the Merle Reskin), the Blackstone Hotel and, later, Chicago’s famed Drake Hotel.
This mid-sized venue was located directly across the street from the Neo-Classical style department store building that began its life as Rothschild’s, then the Davis Store, then Goldblatt’s and is today the Loop campus of DePaul University.
Later called the Loop End Theatre and still later, the Downtown Theatre, the Rialto Theatre was a burlesque house by the 1930’s and closed in December 1953.
It was demolished in January 1954. It was replaced by a handful of small one-story retail stores (“taxpayers”), which in turn were also torn down in the late-1980’s/early-1990’s, replaced by Pritzker Park, which is on the site today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater