64 E. Van Buren Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on Van Buren Street, near Michigan Avenue, the Steinway Hall was located in the Chicago Musical College Building, designed in 1895 by Dwight H. Perkins.
The 850-seat theatre was known as Steinway Hall for the company which built the building, but by 1900 was known as the Ziegfeld Hall. Not long after, it was renamed again, first as the Kelly and Leon Opera House, and by 1910 as the Whitney Opera House. By 1915, it was called the Central Music Hall, renamed again the Central Theatre in 1923, with variations on that name over the next several years depending on who was running it (Minturn’s Central Theatre, Barrett’s Central Theatre, Shubert’s Central Theatre).
In 1930 it was remodeled by architect Eugene Fuhrer, it became a movie house for the first time, as the Punch & Judy Theatre. In about a year, it returned to the Central Theatre name and live theatre, but from March 22, 1935 it was renamed yet again, as the Sonotone Theatre. It would remain a movie house, later renamed Studio Theatre, the Ziegfeld Theatre from November 24, 1950, and finally the Capri Cinema on July 5, 1958, which it remained for the rest of its life, finally running adult films to end the once-illustrious theatre’s career.
The Capri Cinema closed in the late-1960’s, and was demolished in April 1970.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater