294 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
This cinema was built about 1924 or 1925 as a single auditorium and single screen. It was taken over by County Cinemas in January 1928. Once described as ‘being replete with every modern comfort’, it originally screened silent films but was updated and refurbished in the early-1930’s being the first cinema in Aldershot to show ‘talkies’.
The interior was fairly plain but had a barrel vaulted ceiling with ornate ventilation panels with its projection room built outside and above the circle foyer roof. County Cinemas were taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. in September 1939.
The cinema was closed on 29th September 1956. Once it closed, it became a fruit and veg wholesalers depot.
The Star Cinemas Group wanted to reopen it as a bingo hall in the early-1970’s but this never happened and failure of this plan lead to demolition. An office block named Campbell House now stands on the site.
The Pavilion Cinema generally did second screenings or transfered runs of films shown at the ABC/Ritz or Empire/Odeon.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater