3912 N. Sheridan Road,
6 people favorited this theater
Opened as the Keystone Theatre on December 17, 1913, this theatre was located in the Lakeview neighborhood, on N. Sheridan Road near W. Dakin Street. It was designed by architectural firm Rapp & Rapp and operated by the Essaness circuit in its early years.
In 1935, after an Art Deco remodelling to the plans of architectural firm B. Leo Steil & Co., the theatre was renamed the Mode Theatre. Around the mid-to-late-1960’s, the theatre was renamed the Teatro Puerto Rico, showing Spanish-language films. In 1969, the theatre was renamed again, as the Festival Theatre, which was originally an art house cinema, but by the early-1970’s, had begun to show pornographic films. The Festival Theatre closed in 1983.
The former theatre, after housing a grocery store for years, was demolished in early-2005. A new building has been constructed on the site with a bank on the street level and condominiums on the upper floors.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater