Baden Road & Prescot Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Old Swan district in the east of Liverpool. Associated British Cinemas(ABC) built the ‘new’ Regent Cinema adjacent to their smaller Recent Cinema on Prescot Road. The ‘old’ Regent Cinema was closed on 7th May 1938, and the ‘new’ Regent Cinema was opened on 9th May 1938 with William Powell in “Double Wedding”.
Designed by ABC’s ‘in-house’ architect William R. Glen, in a typical Art Deco style for the circuit. The main façade and entrance was on Baden Street at the corner of Prescot Road. Inside the auditorium seating was provided for 1,211 in the stalls and 516 in the circle. The proscenium was 45 feet wide. The screen end of the building backed onto the old' Regent Cinema building.
It was ‘modernised’ in February 1962, but this did nothing to stop the decline in patrons, and the Regent Cinema was closed on 25th March 1967 with Lionel Jeffries in “First Men In the Moon” and the Three Stooges in “Three Stooges in Orbit”. The building was sold for redevelopment and shops and a block of flats known as Baden House was built on the site. The main occupier of the shops today is an Iceland supermarket at the former screen end of the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater