11 N. Clark Street,
7 people favorited this theater
Architects: John Edmund Oldaker Pridmore
Previous Names: Columbia Theatre, Adelphi Theatre
Opened as the Columbia Theatre in 1911 and designed by architect J. E. O. Pridmore, this 1,550-seat legitimate house was remodeled in 1923 by A.H. Woods and renamed the Adelphi Theatre. In 1931, the theatre was turned into a movie house, and given yet another new name at this time, the Clark Theatre (it sat close to the intersection of N. Clark Street and W. Madison Street).
During the 1950’s, the original Blue Note jazz nightclub, which hosted such legends as Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and Sarah Vaughan, was located just a couple doors down from the Clark Theatre, until it closed in the early-1960’s.
The Clark Theatre continued to operate into the early-1970’s (by then screening adult films), last operated by the Kohlberg chain. The theatre was razed in 1974, along with the entire block of late 19th and early 20th century buildings it was part of.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.