No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the south Carlisle district of Harraby. The Argyll Cinema was built in 1956 to serve a new housing estate. It was opened on 23rd July 1956 and was operated by Rural Cinemas and Entertainments Ltd. It had a screen 44ft wide and 20ft high.
The Argyll Cinema had a short life, closing in 1959. It was converted into a bingo club, then a roller skating rink followed by use as a carpet store, all short-lived ventures.
It found fame in 1962 when it was converted into a nightclub known as the COSMOpolitan, attracting groups and an audience from as far away as Manchester. Groups such as The Who, Pink Floyd and The Moody Blues, The Troggs, The Pretty Things, Gerry & the Pacemakers, plus artistes such as Johnny Nash, Gary Glitter and Mary Wells appeared here. It was closed around 1993, and the building sat empty and unused until it was demolished on 8th December 2003 to build housing on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater