56 W. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Realart Theatre. On July 21, 1926 it was renamed Cameo Theatre. On January 15, 1944, the Tribune reported on a fire at the Cameo Theatre, which caused $50,000 damage with only four walls remaining. John H. Miller rebuilt his theatre and it reopened with 150 more seats on April 1, 1944. The Film Daily Year Book of 1950 listed the Cameo Theatre with 550 seats.
The Provo Daily Herald reported in January and February of 1958 on the remodeling of the former Cameo Theatre at 60 W. Main Street into a store by Christensen’s Department Store. Interestingly enough, the present day aerials compared to the Sanborn Insurance Maps of 1938 show that the building still has the same footprint where the stage area was wider than the auditorium. Although the original store has departed, Christensen’s name is still on the building, about a block away from the Towne Cinemas.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater