Concord Cinema 1 & 2
424 Stapleton Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Eastville district to the northeast of the city. Designed by Bristol architect W.H. Watkins, His Majesty’s Cinema was opened on 26th December 1911. Seating was provided for 800 on a single level.
In 1930 it was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. In 1934 it was enlarged to 1,200 seats by adding a balcony.
Taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in late-1968, they twinned the building, creating a 330-seat cinema in the circle and a bingo club in the former stalls. Metal cladding was placed on the corner entrance of the façade. The circle auditorium was twinned in 1973 and re-opened as Studio 1 & 2 with 166 and 183 seats. In 1975 the cinema was leased to a new operator who re-named them Concord Cinema 1 & 2. They closed in 1990. Bingo continued to operate for a few more years. The building has been converted into a discount store warehouse.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater