55 Davis Square,
27 people favorited this theater
Frame ONE Theatres (Official)
Operated by: Frame ONE Theatres
Firms: Funk and Wilcox
Styles: Art Deco
News About This Theater
- Jul 3, 2014 — Stefanie Klavens' Celluloid Dreams
- Jan 16, 2014 — Somerville turns 100 in 2014
- Apr 20, 2010 — Repertory Series at historic Somerville Theatre begins with Jeff Bridges retrospective
- Sep 12, 2008 — Anime After Dark launches in Somerville
- Jun 29, 2007 — Somerville Theatre Summer Film Series
- Sep 14, 2006 — Chuck Norris Film Festival in Somerville
- May 7, 2004 — Somerville Theatre Celebrates 90th Birthday
- Oct 27, 2003 — Halloween Arrives Early at Theater
Opened on May 11, 1914, with 1,100 seats, this neighborhood movie palace was home to plays, opera, and vaudeville before going movies-only. Ray Bolger danced here live, and Busby Berkeley directed plays here.
The non-theatre part of the building housed an old ballroom, that, along with some storefronts, was demolished in the 1980’s to make way for four smaller screens to complement the big original theatre, which has a huge balcony, screen, and a lot of style. By 2012, a 31-seat micro screen had been added, creating a 6-screen movie theatre.
Many concerts happen here, in addition to the current slate of movies. Since September 2016 it has hosted the annual 70mm & Widescreen Festival. This is a well-maintained and well-loved theatre. It was closed in March 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The theatre reopened September 17, 2021. Screens 4 & 5 upstairs were removed for the restoration of the Crystal Ballroom which opens October 8, 2021. Two basement screens remain in addition to the historic auditorium.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.