423 Central Avenue NW,
11 people favorited this theater
Opened on September 19, 1927, with an original seating capacity of 1,321, the Albuquerque KiMo Theater is ornately decorated in the Pueblo Deco style, which combines the Indian cultures of the Southwest with the flavor of Art Deco. By the early-1940’s the Kimo Theater was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Hoblitzelle & O'Donnell. It underwent some remodeling by architectural firm Brittelle, Ginner & Neuner.
On November 5, 1974 it went over to screening adult movies. Stylish in every way, the KiMo Theater almost met the wrecking ball in 1977, but was saved and in that year was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The KiMo Theater was beautifully restored in September, 2000 and is now a prime venue for concerts, civic events, and the performing arts. The theater’s resurgence represents the city’s recent upturn with new development and stores popping up throughout downtown.
As the focal point of the burgeoning arts community, the KiMo Theater is a proud reminder of the past and a symbol of the city’s future.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater