Apollo Art Theatre
323-29 De Baliviere Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Barnes & Anderson
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: Apollo Theatre
It was announced in November 1935 that the Apollo Theatre Company would be building a new 700 seat theatre with four attached shops. A February 1936 opening was projected, but it didn’t open until August 19, 1936.
In 1955 Grace Piccione was listed as the owner and the theatre was renamed Apollo Art Theatre in 1957. The theatre first had a policy of foreign and independent films. The art classification led to some problems that often happen with such a policy. The police raided the theatre on August 31, 1970 and the manager and the projectionist were arrested and the print that was being shown “Man and Wife” was confiscated.
After many raids by the police and trouble with the city license collector and much ado from the neighborhood the courts through the case out saying that it was not obscene. The Apollo continued on through the mid-1970’s.
In 1980 the Patheon Corp. purchased the property and wanted to convert it into an arcade and cinema and restaurants. The Apollo Art Theatre closed and was demolished in 1982.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.