Laurel Theatre

8056 Beverly Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Laurel Theatre

The Laurel Theatre was opened on August 28, 1941 with Ray Milland in “I Wanted Wings” & Joan Bennett in “She Knew All the Answers”. Since at least 1958 this former theatre located on Beverly Boulevard at Laurel Avenue is now home to a synagogue.

Contributed by William Gabel

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

Ralgev
Ralgev on December 13, 2004 at 1:22 pm

The correct address for the Laurel Theater is 8056 Beverly Blvd. near the intersection of Beverly and Laurel Avenue — hence the Laurel name. And the building still stands. Although the facade has been modified, the auditorium has been in use for the better part of four decades as an active synagogue.
Ralgev

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 18, 2005 at 12:57 am

A while after it had opened in New York in August of 1947, Vittorio De Sica’s film “Shoe Shine” played at the Laurel for eight weeks. That shattering neo-realist movie about the aftermath of World War II and life in a boys' prison was distributed at the time by Lopert Films, Inc.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Shoe Shine was playing over at the Sunset on 2/11/50. The Laurel was showing The Bicycle Thief (7th record-breaking week!). The LA Times ad gives the address as 8036 Beverly Boulevard.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 25, 2007 at 7:00 am

Here is a September 1947 ad from the LA Times:
http://tinyurl.com/2roylu

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 23, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Here is a November 1946 ad from the LA Times:
http://tinyurl.com/4sm289

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 12, 2009 at 6:40 pm

This is from the LA Times in April 1950:

“Madness of Love” has its gala American premiere at the Laurel Theater on Friday night. With it Cifesa Films, Inc., Spain’s leading motion picture producer, is making a concerted effort for a portion of the foreign art film market in this country.

rivest266
rivest266 on September 27, 2019 at 2:31 pm

This opened on August 28th, 1941. Small grand opening ad posted.

Slufty
Slufty on November 7, 2019 at 5:58 pm

It has served as the synagogue for Beth Isreal Congregation since at least 1958.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater