7907 Beverly Boulevard,
24 people favorited this theater
The Fairfax Theatre was opened on March 26, 1930, and was a 1,504 seat single screen with all seats on a single floor. It was designed for movies and vaudeville. By June 1938 it was operated by Fox West Coast Theatres.
It was converted into a 3-screen theatre on December 25, 1981. The two smaller auditoriums were carved from the original auditorium’s rear, leaving the original screen, proscenium and organ grilles intact withing the largest auditorium. It was taken over by Cineplex Odeon on June 6, 1986 and they operated it as a discount house. Laemmle Theatres purchased and reopened it on November 2, 2001 after an interior makeover with new seats and new carpet were added. Extra wide seating was also added which reduced the cinema’s capacity to one screen with 499 seats and two others with 192 and 222 seats.
Laemmle, which has always attempted to preserve the original historic elements of its acquisitions, retained the theatre’s free-standing ticket window. The ticket booth is one of the last in the West Hollywood/Hollywood area. They also retained the Art Deco style stencilled ceiling in the large auditorium.
When Laemmle took over the Fairfax Theatre, the programming was changed to incorporate mostly art house and foreign films.
The Fairfax Theatre was closed by Laemmle Theatres in September 2006. However it was taken over by Regency Theatres and operated as a second run art house. It was closed in late-February 2010, just short of its 80th birthday. In 2013, a City committee approved plans for a 71 apartment complex to be built, preserving the theatre’s facade, marquee and terrazzo floor at the entry, but resulting in the loss of the rest of the theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater