17 Bishop Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Stockton-On-Tees, County Durham. Originally on this site was the Royal Star Theatre of Varieties which opened in 1878 and burnt down on 3rd April 1883. It was rebuilt and later burnt down again.
It was rebuilt as the Grand Theatre to the plans of noted theatre architect Frank Matcham working with an architect named Moses. The Grand Theatre opened on 1st August 1892. It was closed on 30th June 1934.
It was renovated and re-opened as the Plaza Cinema on 3rd September 1934 and was operated by the Cinema in Stockton-on-Tees. It had a 20ft wide proscenium, the stage was 38ft deep and there were five dressing rooms. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system.
The Plaza Cinema was taken over by the Essoldo chain in May 1955 and they closed it in 1959 with Elvis Presley in “King Creole”. The empty building was partially destroyed by a fire on 28th June 1962, and the building was demolished in November 1969 and Oriel House office block and shops was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater