511 S. Conkling Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Durkee, F.H., Enterprises
Architects: Henry Bickel
Firms: Henry L. Maas & Son
News About This Theater
- Feb 11, 2005 — Grand Theater 3D Renderings
- May 4, 2004 — The Grand: Before and After
- Feb 13, 2004 — A Playbill from the Grand Theatre
- Jan 27, 2004 — More Grand Theatre Demolition Pics
- Jan 24, 2004 — UPDATE: The Grand's Last Stand
- Jan 22, 2004 — Pics of the Grand Theatre's Demolition
- Dec 8, 2003 — Photos of the Grand Theater
- Dec 2, 2003 — Grand Theatre Demolition Begins
One of Baltimore’s greatest old theatres, the Grand Theatre has perhaps finally met its fate. The old theatre located at 511 South Conkling Street has a green front and towers over the block. Designed by architect Henry Bickel, the Grand Theatre dates back to its opening as a six acts of vaudeville & movies house on November 10, 1913.
An impressive feature to its front exterior was its stainless steel box office. In 1926 it was taken over by F.H. Durkee Enterprises. The interior of the Grand Theatre was completely rebuilt in the summer of 1929 to the plans of architectural firm Henry L. Maas, who gave the interior an Egyptian style. The Grand Theatre was closed in October 1985 and the building remained intact and in great shape.
In December 2003/January 2004 the Grand Theatre was demolished, though its marquee, box office and some interior features have been salvaged for future use. A library was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.