4 Eden Quay,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north city centre. The Corinthian Picture Theatre was opened on 8th August 1921 with “Torn Sails”. It had seating provided for 700 all on a single floor. The building was designed in a Neo-Classical style by architect Thomas Francis McNamara. In the late-1920’s it was remodelled and a balcony was added giving a total seating capacity of 841.
In 1946 it was sold to the Rank Organisation, and in 1956 was re-named New Corinthian Cinema, eventually loosing much of its original decoration.
In 1975 it was closed to be twinned, to the pans of architectural firm Henry J. Lyons & Partners. The former balcony became Screen 1 with 200 seats and the former stalls became Screen 2 with 323 seats. It re-opened as the Odeon 2 on 17th October 1975.
In the mid-1980’s it was taken over by the Ward Anderson chain and was re-named Screen 2. It was closed on 4th March 1993.
It was converted into a conference centre, then became a Laughter Lounge comedy club in 1998. It was demolished in November 2002, together with the adjacent Astor Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater