Drexel North Theatre
4250 North High Street,
7 people favorited this theater
The Drexel North Theatre was an 800 seat single screen theatre. It opened in 1941 as the Beechwold Theatre, was remodeled to become the Camelot North Theatre in 1972, and became the Drexel North Theatre in 1986. It closed in the spring of 1995 after 54 years of movies.
During its final years it was operating without a lease. Basically, the people who owned the property decided they wanted to sell the building, and the Drexel could not afford to buy it. Until the owners could find a buyer, the Drexel was permitted to lease the building on a month-to-month basis. Very few developers were interested in the property, and the theatre’s miserable condition was enough to frighten most of them.
However, Revco Drugstores eventually purchased the building at an estimated price of $250,000. Upon acquiring the property, Revco quickly terminated the Drexel North’s monthly lease and instructed the theatre to close.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater