New Kingsway Cinema
36 Parliament Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A conversion of a former garage. The Kingsway Super Cinema was opened on 3rd April 1923 with Marion Davies in “The Young Diana” and Lon Chaney in “The Ace of Hearts”. All seating (capacity not known) was on a single floor. It was independently operated. In 1930 it was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system. In 1931 this was upgraded to a Western Electric(WE) sound system. In 1936 it became part of the James Brennan circuit.
Within months it was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain. In October 1937 Union Cinemas were taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. ABC closed the New Kingsway Cinema in 1939 (although it was still listed in Kinematograph Yearbooks through to 1944).
It reverted back to use as a garage, then became a discount store. Later a Comet electrical store, in 2017 it is a Farm Foods supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater