Lower Church Street and Great John Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A conversion of the Victoria Hall, the Picturedrome was opened on 11th December 1911 with “The Seige of Calais”. Inside the auditorium seating was provided in stalls and circle levels, and the circle was extended on each side with slips containing seats right up to the the 24ft wide proscenium. In 1930 it was equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system. In 1938 this was replaced by a Duosonic sound system.
In 1958 it was taken over by the owners of the Whitehall Cinema, Morecambe and the Orr circuit based in Coventry. They fitted a 30ft wide CinemaScope screen in front of the proscenium and it was re-named Rex Cinema.
The Rex Cinema was closed in the mid-1960’s and became a bingo club, later becoming the Rex Casino. It had been demolished by 1970 and the site is now the entrance to St Nicholas Arcades car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater