1401 Flatbush Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Built on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn in 1919, it was a large neighborhood vaudeville house with silent movies. The Farragut Theatre was opened on April 22, 1920 with Geraldine Farrar in “The Woman and the Puppet”. An Austin 3 manual / 16 rank theatre organ was installed. It was served by two passing trolley lines on Flatbush and Rogers Avenues. Converted to talkies, it became part of the Century circuit in the 1930’s.
The last live stage performance was in 1953 when a magic act was presented along with the showing of the movie “Houdini”. It was operated by Century until 1955 when it went dark for about six months before reopening as part of the Springer Circuit which was formed to operate other closed Brookyn houses. The marquee was painted along with the vertical, trim color going from red to bright yellow.
It closed circa 1959 and was reopened as a bowling alley which went bankrupt in 1963. It was then converted into a YMCA.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater