No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Chorley, Lancashire on Gillibrand Street, off Market Street, behind the Theatre Royal. The Hippodrome Theatre was built and opened in 1909. It had a 24ft wide proscenium and five dressing rooms. By 1914 it was operating as a cinema re-named Hippodrome Picturedrome. By 1930 it was renamed Hippodrome Cinema and had been equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was independently operated by the Perfecto Filmograph Co. Ltd. who also operated the towns' Empire Cinema.
By 1939, the Hippodrome Cinema (and the Empire Cinema) were operated by the Snape and Ward circuit. Around 1945 the Hippodrome Cinema went back to live theatre use, presenting repertory theatre, with occasional periods when films filled in. It had closed in the early-1950’s and it was converted into the Tudor Ballroom. In the late-1950’s it converted into the Tudor Bingo Club, operated by the Coral Leisure Group. In 1967, it was closed and converted into Graham’s Supermarket. It has since been demolished and the site is used as a car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater