6226 Easton Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Wellston Theatre opened by the Arthur chain (Franchon & Marco) in 1922 seating 1,319. This was one of the oppulant neighborhhod houses. It was a move over house from the Fox, St. Louis, Ambassador and Missouri theatres. Located in the Wellston Loop which at the time was one of the busiest shopping areas in the US. a sister theatre the Victory opened two years later just three blocks to the east at the beginning of the Wellston Loop. The Wellston packed them in show after show. It was a real looker inside and out, with a large balcony and beautiful interior of plush red velvets and gold trim. The front facade was four large colums with a free standing box office located in the middle with a walkway to the main entrance. A terrazzo floor on the outside walkway lead into the same in the lobby. Brightly lit poster cases lined the walkway with tons of neon all along the ceiling and front of the theatre. the Main lobby boasted a very large concession stand in the middle of the lobby and four auditorium doors behind it. There was a grand staircase on each side of the lobby leading to the balcony.
On the week-ends it was nothing for the theatre to sell out each show. The Wellston outlived the Victory by almost twenty years. But the decline of the neighborhood and the closing of the stores in the loop doomed the theatre and it finally closed in 1978.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater